FAQs for Student Complainants and Respondents

Questions You Might Have

Who can I speak with for support at the University?

Confidential Resources (will keep all information confidential)

Non-Confidential Resources (may be required to share information with the Title IX Office)


I want to know my Student Rights in the Title IX Investigation process.

The University is committed to providing accessible, prompt, thorough and fair methods of investigation and resolution of Formal Complaints filed under this Policy. To this end, in addition to the procedural rights afforded throughout this Policy, the Complainant and Respondent are entitled to the following overarching rights:  

  1. To be treated with dignity by all persons involved in resolution processes under this Policy.  
  2. To reasonable accommodations for any documented disabilities.  
  3. To a reasonably prompt and thorough investigation of the allegations.  
  4. To a fair hearing.  
  5. To equal access to information, evidence, and University resources, including information pertaining to counseling services (See Appendix A, Resources for Complainants and Appendix B, Resources for Respondents).  
  6. To an equal opportunity to present witnesses, including fact and expert witnesses, and other inculpatory and exculpatory evidence, (i.e. evidence that tends to prove and disprove the allegations).  
  7. To information about this Policy.  
  8. To be free from intimidation, harassment, bullying, or any other form of retaliation throughout the resolution process.  
  9. To have reasonable steps taken to prevent any unnecessary or unwanted in person contact with the other party(ies) during the resolution process including modifications to the live hearing process.  
  10. To report the incident to law enforcement at any time.


Can I go through the legal system and the Title IX process at the same time?

Yes, you can choose to go through the legal system and the Title IX process at the same time. These processes are separate and different from each other and have different standards of evidence. A criminal court uses the standard “Beyond a Reasonable Doubt” whereas Rutgers University uses the standard “Preponderance of the Evidence” which means “more likely than not.” The outcomes of each process are also different from each other.

Do I need to report to the police to report to the University? Do I need to report to the University to report to the police?
  • You always have the right to report to the police, to the University, to both, or to neither. 
  • There are limited times when the University will have to notify the police even if the Complainant does not want to make a report. 
  • The criminal process is different from the University process. This means there are different procedures, different standards of evidence, and different outcomes. 


How do I make a report to the University?

You can make a report to the University by contacting the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX via email, phone, or in person. You can also make a report by filling out the online reporting form here.

Can I make a report even if the incident happened a while ago?

Yes, there is no time limit or statute of limitations for reporting an incident to the University. However, the University's options to resolve the complaint may be limited based on either party's student status.

Will the University share this report with anyone?
  • All student records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). 
  • FERPA is the federal law that governs the rights of students and institutional responsibilities with respect to student records. If you have any questions regarding any of the information contained herein, please contact the Office of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics, and Compliance at 973-972-8000 or uec_contact@uec.rutgers.edu or visit their website. 
  • A FERPA Release Form can be found on the Office of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics and Compliance’s website.


Who do I contact if I need an accommodation during an investigation and/or hearing process?

The Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX will help with connecting you with resources regarding accommodations and other supportive measures. Contact the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX for more information. 

What should I do if I receive a message from the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX that says an investigation is occurring?
  • Consider contacting resources available listed in the email and on this web page. CAPS and Student Legal Services are confidential resources for you which means they do not have to share information you discuss with the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX 
  • Read the email you received from the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX in its entirety and follow any directions outlined. Be sure to respond to the Title IX investigator. 
  • If you would like to have a Campus Liaison, Support Person, and/or Advisor present at your meetings, please let contact the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX know. 
  • If you would like interim supportive measures, contact the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX.


Who is a trained Campus Liaison and how can I contact them? 
  • The Complainant and Respondent, respectively, may be accompanied to any meeting or hearing under this Policy by a Campus Liaison or Support Person of their choice. This could be a friend, family member, lawyer, or other individual of the student’s choosing.  
  • The Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX has a list of trained Campus Liaisons. These professional staff members have received specific training on this Policy, processes, and student rights. If you would like a Campus Liaison, just let the Office know. 
  • During meetings and hearings, the Campus Liaison or Support Person may talk quietly with the student or pass notes in a non-disruptive manner. However, they may not intervene in a meeting or hearing. Failure to comply with these mandates may result in the Campus Liaison or Support Person being removed from, or prohibited from attending, any investigatory meetings and/or the hearing. 




If you wish to speak to someone confidentially, you may contact the following offices for advice and/or support. They will not share any information with the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX without your expressed permission.

Please note: You may also contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance, but keep in mind that it is not a confidential resource and they may be obligated to report information about the incident(s) to the Office of Student Affairs Compliance & Title IX.

CAPS Cook building Counseling, ADAP, & Psychiatric Services (CAPS Cook/Douglass)

61 Nichol St (Cook/Douglass Campus)

CAPS Website

CAPS College Ave Counseling, ADAP, & Psychiatric Services (CAPS)

17 Senior St. (College Ave Campus)

CAPS Website

Dean of Students Building Dean of Students

88 College Ave. (College Ave Campus)

Dean of Students Website

VPVA House Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA)

3 Bartlett St. (College Ave Campus)

VPVA Website

Lucy stone building Office of Disability Services

Lucy Stone Hall, Suite A145 (Livingston Campus)

Office of Disability Services Website

Tillet Hall building Office of Student Legal Services

Tillett Hall, Room 247 (Livingston Campus)

Student Legal Services Email

Resources for Undocumented Students

88 College Ave. (College Ave Campus)

Resources for Undocumented Students Web page

Rutgers Student Health

Located on the Livingston, College Ave, and Cook/Douglass Campuses

Student Health Website

RUPD building Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD)

55 Commercial Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

911 (Emergency)
732-932-7211 (Non-Emergency)

RUPD Website